Sunday, July 3, 2011

Voss, Norway


My great-grandmother Helena (see earlier family tree post) was from Voss. She left Norway at 18 for America. It doesn't appear as though Helena was her birth name, but was the one she adopted after moving country.

I am traveling with my parents, and this was the part of the trip my mom was most excited about.....even though she didn't really know her grandmother very well. Due to economic hardships my grandmother was given up for adoption as a young girl. My mom loved the woman who adopted her mom. Loved her very much, and was very close to her. My grandmother, who I loved very much, never held a grudge. Ever. She tried to maintain close relationships with her birth mother, and other family members.

My grandma always told me I look just like her mom. She might be right, but I think I have the personality of my other Norwegian great-grandmother - Kaja.

End of the additional family tree stuff....

We didn't spend much time in Voss, but it is lovely. Beautiful lake and picturesque mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment